My wife and I have been in full time ministry for over 43 years. During this time, we have had to deal with different kinds of anti-Christ spirits, such as the spirit behind Judas, Jezebel, Korah, and Absalom. One of the most devastating to any spiritual leader is an Absalom spirit. This spirit causes chaos, confusion, division, and destruction in many churches and brings deep pain to many sincere pastors and congregational members. The Biblical story of Absalom can be found in 2 Sam 13- 18.
The Operation of the Absalom Spirit
David’s son Absalom was banned from his father’s house because he murdered his half-brother Amnon, who had raped Absalom’s sister Tamara. Absalom felt he was justified in killing Amnon and deeply resented his subsequent punishment and exile. Eventually Absalom’s unresolved offenses led to anger, betrayal, and finally, open rebellion against his own father.
“In this manner Absalom acted toward all Israel who came to the king for judgement. So, Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.” (2 Sam 15:1-6)
The word ‘stole’ means he took what did not belong to him - his father’s seat of authority and his father’s followers. Absalom personalities always present themselves as friendly, sympathetic, lovable, and popular until they gain control. Then they become dictatorial and controlling and very hostile if confronted!
Some Signs of a Modern-Day Absalom Spirit
- They feel they are not getting the recognition they deserve. They have big dreams but always blame others for blocking those dreams. Absalom even made a monument to himself! (2 Sam 18:9-18)
- They harbor offenses and hurts rather than forgiving and forgetting.
- They have a sympathetic ear to all the discontented voices in the church.
- They will speak negatively about senior leaders rather than speaking directly to their face.
- They often use flattery to gain secret allies and undermine senior leadership.
- Even a small band of followers in key positions will suffice for him to make his move. He often uses innocent, deceived people to do his dirty work for him. (2 Sam 15:11)
- An Absalom spirit works by subtle seduction and hidden agendas. Beware of those who draw you aside with secret information, trying to split churches and set up their own kingdom.
Absalom came to a sad end, because of pride, selfish ambition, and unresolved offenses that led to hatred, betrayal, and rebellion! (Matt 24:10-12) How many decent, loving pastors and congregations have been deceived and destroyed by an Absalom’s false care and concern for the church, their family, or their business? I hope this brief synopsis will help you to recognize, confront, and reject any Absalom-type personality who tries to manipulate and use you! If you have been drawn after such a person, deliver yourself from the snare of the devil while you can!
Yours for Spiritual Discernment and Divine Intervention!
Dr George Hill
Apostolic Founder and President of Victory Churches International